Ethernet and RS232 distribution over fiber and pilot cables in 20 kV substations
Transport and distribution Utility substations have often used multi-pair pilot cables for telemetry and control communications to RTU / SCADA, counters, protection relays and such equipment. Low speed multi-drop modems were used over these cables but performance could not enable any Ethernet and IP protocol upgrade.
CopperWay-Bis-HV product is a Gigabit Ethernet switch with an optical and two Ethernet First Mile SHDSL-Bis interfaces that are specially designed for the 20 kV utility networks. It builds drop-insert and secured Ring topologies to deliver four Ethernet and one RS232 ports to connect substation equipment.
This solution brings many benefits
- Leverage on existing cables and reduce CAPEX of Ethernet / IP upgrades
- Several MegaBit per Second bandwidth over existing copper cables
- 10 kV isolation to connect in 20 kV power environments
- Access point for several RTU and metering equipment through four Ethernet and one RS232 ports
- SHDSL-Bis copper cable and fiber optic communication media
- Network access for maintenance engineers
- Drop-insert bus or secured Ring topologies
- Specific copper line security circuit to increase fault resiliency
- Exhaustive management and diagnostic functions
- Reduced installation and maintenance costs thanks to a very integrated design